Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
When it starts to get cooler and the days get shorter, nothing warms you up like a comforting bowl of soup. But many soups are packed with hidden fat, sodium, and calories. This fall opt for a lighter fare with this Roasted Butternut Squash Soup recipe. Low in fat yet rich in flavor, the only thing hidden in this soup is vitamin-rich vegetables, and lots of them. Its richness comes from the starches released by the winter squash, carrots, onions, and apples—no heavy cream or butter needed. With a velvety texture and rich, savory-sweet taste, this soup is the perfect thing to keep you full this fall.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
- 6 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 apples, diced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 drop Black Pepper Vitality™ essential oil
- 1 drop Cinnamon Bark Vitality™ essential oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- Additional salt to taste
- Green onions, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss squash in olive oil and salt and bake on a cookie sheet for 30–35 minutes.
- While squash is cooking, heat olive oil in a large sauté pan.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add carrots and 3 tablespoons water or vegetable broth to pan.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add onion and apples.
- Cook 15–20 minutes or until all veggies/fruit are soft.
- Add veggies/fruit to the blender and blend until well combined.
- Transfer to a large pot.
- Stir in vegetable broth and coconut milk, reserving 2 tablespoons of the milk.
- Stir in Cinnamon Bark Vitality™, Black Pepper Vitality™, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Reheat gently, serve in bowls, and garnish with reserved coconut milk and green onions.
- Best paired with a cozy blanket and your favorite book.
What Vitality essential oils do you like using in your fall recipes? Let us know in the comments!